Wellspire offers unsurpassed PCOS treatment in Houston at affordable prices. Our highly sought-after endocrinologist, Dr. Brian Chou, uses a combination of lifestyle changes and medications to help his patients manage PCOS and attain improved wellness.
What is PCOS and what are its main symptoms?
Polycystic ovary syndrome or PCOS is a hormonal disorder in women of reproductive age. Women with PCOS may suffer from infrequent menstrual periods or excess androgen (male hormone) levels. PCOS occurs when the ovaries develop numerous small collections of fluids or follicles and fail to release eggs regularly. While the exact causes of PCOS remain unknown, early diagnosis and treatment may reduce your risk for several long-term health complications. Some of the symptoms of PCOS include:
- Irregular periods – Experiencing infrequent, irregular, or prolonged menstrual cycles. Having fewer than nine periods a year and abnormally heavy periods is a warning sign that you should consult a Houston PCOS specialist.
- Excess androgen – Elevated male hormone levels, such as excess facial and body hair, severe acne, and male-pattern baldness.
- Polycystic ovaries – Women with PCOS may have enlarged ovaries with follicles around the eggs, preventing them from functioning well.
These signs and symptoms can be more severe in overweight and obese women. Schedule a consultation with a polycystic ovarian syndrome specialist at the earliest if you have concerns about your menstrual period or fertility, or show signs of excess androgen.
How will my doctor find out if I have PCOS?
Your specialist may assess your medical history, review your menstrual periods and weight changes, and follow it up with a physical exam to check for signs of excess hair growth, insulin resistance, and acne before arriving at a diagnosis. Our treatment providers also use pelvic exams, blood tests, and ultrasound to determine if you have PCOS.
Our PCOS treatment near Houston, TX, begins with a comprehensive diagnosis, after which our clinicians create a tailored treatment plan to help you heal and recover from your health ailment. We use cutting-edge technology, advanced treatments, and innovative therapies to help our patients attain a safe and speedy recovery.
Different kinds of treatment for PCOS
The treatment for PCOS involves a combination of lifestyle changes and medications. Our Houston endocrine specialists focus on managing your concerns, such as infertility, hirsutism, acne, and obesity. Your doctor may recommend a combination of the following treatments for PCOS:
- Lifestyle changes – Your specialist may recommend a low-calorie diet and ask you to engage in moderate physical exercise. Losing even 5% of your body weight can improve your condition and increase the effectiveness of your PCOS medications. If you are trying to conceive, weight loss can help you overcome your infertility problems.
- Medications – Your doctor may try to regulate your menstrual cycle by recommending a combination of birth control pills. Typically, these pills contain estrogen and progestin, which decrease androgen production and regulate estrogen levels.
- Therapy – Your PCOS doctors in Houston may recommend progestin therapy for two weeks once every two months to regulate your periods. Progestin therapy won’t prevent pregnancy and will keep your androgen levels in check.
Call us at 877-687-3628 to schedule an appointment with our endocrinologist. Wellspire is a leading healthcare clinic for PCOS treatment in Houston with advanced and innovative therapies, cutting-edge technology, and a highly proficient medical team.
Humble TX 77338